Young Chefs Academy’s “All Pumpkins Night Stew”
Young Chefs Academy featured ‘All Pumpkins Night Stew’ in their cooking and workshop classes this month. It’s actually cooked inside the pumpkin! Here is something you can do with your kids during the colder months.
- ½ cup sliced onion
- 1 pound pre-cooked sausage*, cut into ½ inch slices
- 1 Tbsp. canola oil
- 1 (4 ½ oz.) can whole mushrooms
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 tsp. caraway seeds
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 4 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 Cloves Minced Garlic
- 1 Tsp Italian Seasoning
- 2 cups wide egg noodles
- 1 sugar pumpkin
- 1Heat 1 Tbsp. canola oil in a soup pot oven over medium-high heat. Stir in onion, sausage, and mushrooms. Cook until onions are softened and translucent.
- Stir in all ingredients, except for pumpkin and noodles, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Stir in 2 cups of wide egg noodles and cook for about 8 minutes or until noodles are tender
- Pour hot soup into prepared pumpkin shell and serve
- Pre Heat Oven to 450 Degrees
- Using a serrated knife, remove the top of the sugar pumpkin at a slight angle
- Remove all seeds and “guts”
- Place pumpkin on a sheet pan and bake for 15-25 minutes
(Handle roasted pumpkin with care, it can crack easily and will be very hot)
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees
- Collect all pumpkin seeds and place in a bowl of salt water
- Drain seeds, and spread them across a baking sheet
- Bake for 5 to 10 minutes until seeds start to pop.
- Sprinkle roasted seeds on top of soup or around plate to garnish