We’ve all heard of Christmas in July, well what about summer in November? This holiday season bring back the warmth of summer, or the thought of it, with everyone’s favorite treat… ice cream! Executive Chef Denise Baron of Burtons Grill has created the Gingerbread Ice Cream Sandwich, available at Burtons Grill the upscale casual eatery located in Boston’s Fenway District, beginning November 1st through the winter season. Topped with a warm Pumpkin Caramel Sauce, the Gingerbread Ice Cream Sandwiches are a yummy treat that combines the sentiment of summer with the tastes of the season. Come into Burtons Grill or try Chef Baron’s recipe at home. This frozen treat is sure to melt away the winter blues.
- 3 cups Flour
- 2 cups Sugar
- 1/2 cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 2 tsp Ginger, ground
- 2 tsp Cinnamon, ground
- 1 tsp Clove, ground
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 cup Unsalted Butter, Melted
- 2/3 cup Molasses
- 4 ea Eggs
- Unsalted Butter for greasing tray
- 6 oz Pumpkin Ice cream
- Half Sheet Tray
- 2 Stainless Steel Bowls
- Rubber Spatula
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Ice cream Scoop
- Oz Scale
- Plastic Wrap
1. Combine flour, sugar, cocoa powder, ginger, cinnamon, clove and baking soda together in a bowl.
2. In a separate bowl mix the butter, molasses and eggs.
3. Pour the butter mixture into the flour bowl and incorporate with rubber spatula.
4. Stir until the consistency is thick- be sure not to over mix.
5. Grease a baking sheet with unsalted butter.
6. Pour batter into sheet tray and using rubber spatula evenly spread over entire half sheet tray.
7. Bake in a 350° oven for 16 minutes.
8. Remove from oven and let cool on wire rack.
9. Once cooled, cut edges off brownie in the pan. Then cut into 3 x 8 squares to get 24 pieces.
10. Cut the brownies in half horizontally with serrated knife.
11. Working quickly place 2.5 oz pumpkin ice cream on each the brownies.
12. Place the top on and press down. Wrap them individually in plastic wrap and freeze immediately. You might want to have a friend help wrap while you put ice cream in sandwich!
13. Store in the freezer for a yummy snack.
Pumpkin Caramel Sauce
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 8 oz salted butter
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- Measuring Cups
- 5 qt Sauce Pan
- Metal 1/3 Pan
- Pound Scale
1. In 5 qt heavy sauce pan, mix sugar, water and lemon juice and bring to a boil.
2. Let simmer without stirring.
3. While sugar mixture is simmering, heat cream, butter and pumpkin pie spice in the microwave until it is hot, not boiling (180˚).
4. When sugar mixture starts to show a little bit of color, watch closely. Continue to simmer until the mixture turns a medium golden brown color. NOT TOO DARK.
5. Turn off flame and add butter and cream, whisking consistently. Be careful of the steam.
6. Transfer to a metal 1/3 pan and cool at room temperature, not in an ice bath.
Availability: The Gingerbread Ice Cream Sandwich is available at Burtons Grill, located at 1363 Boylston Street, Boston, Ma 02215. Burtons Grill hours are as follows– Mon – Thu: 11:30 am – 10 pm, Fri – Sat: 11:30 am – 11 pm. It is only available November 1st through the winter season! For more information about this seasonal delight, contact Burtons Grill at 617.236.2236 or visit the Burtons website at www.burtonsgrill.com.