* 2 tablespoons canola oil
* 2 medium red onions, thinly sliced
* 8 ounces (2 1/4 cups) button or cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
* 6 ounces (about 8 cups) prewashed spinach, shredded
* Coarse salt and ground pepper
* 8 flour tortillas (8-inch)
* 8 ounces (2 cups) pepper Jack cheese, shredded
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a 12-inch skillet over medium heat, warm 1 tablespoon oil. Cook the onions, stirring occasionally, until lightly golden, about 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms; cook, stirring occasionally, until they’re tender, 6 to 8 minutes.
2. Add spinach in two batches, letting the first batch wilt slightly before adding the next; cook until spinach is completely wilted and mixture is dry, 2 to 3 minutes total. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Brush one side of tortillas with remaining tablespoon oil. Place 4 tortillas, oiled sides down, on two baking sheets. Layer each tortilla with cheese, spinach mixture, and more cheese, dividing evenly. Top with the remaining 4 tortillas, oiled sides up, and lightly press to seal.
4. Bake until cheese has melted and tortillas are golden brown, turning them once, about 10 minutes. To serve, cut quesadillas into quarters.
Thanks to Martha Stewart for the recipe.