Recipe: POM Pistachio Thumbprints
* 2/3 cup Crimson POM Jelly*
* 2 cups all-purpose flour
* teaspoon baking powder
* teaspoon salt
* cup unsalted butter
* cup granulated sugar
* 1 large egg
* 1 teaspoon vanilla
* 1 cup salted pistachios, finely chopped
*Crimson POM Jelly:
* juice from 46 large POM Wonderful Pomegranates,** or 2 cups POM Wonderful 100% Pomegranate Juice
* cup arils from 1 large POM Wonderful Pomegranate
* 2 tablespoons lemon juice
* 1 packet liquid fruit pectin or half of a 1-oz. package powdered fruit pectin
* 4 cups granulated sugar
* 1. Prepare Crimson POM Jelly in advance of making cookies.*
* 2. Preheat the oven to 350F.
* 3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.
* 4. In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. On low speed, gradually add the flour mixture.
* 5. Put the pistachios in a shallow bowl. Shape heaping teaspoons of the dough into 1-inch balls and roll in pistachios, pressing to coat. Place about 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets. With your thumb, make a deep impression in the center of each cookie. Spoon teaspoon Crimson POM Jelly into each hollow.
* 6. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until golden brown around the edges. Cool cookies on cookie sheets for 3 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack.
And just a little tip for POM lovers: I can’t really have caffeine after a certain hour (like 3pm – yes, I’m an 80 year old man) – so when I want a good night’s sleep I just mix some POM juice with seltzer and lime for a tasty drink. Thought I’d throw the recipe out there in case you are rowing in the same boat as I am when it comes to issues with caffeine.