What To Do With Canned Tuna?
Canned tuna has long been a pantry staple, and is a powerhouse food that’s easy to cook with. Most health experts agree that the vast majority of Americans would benefit from eating 8-12 ounces of seafood – including tuna – weekly for optimal health.
By just about any measure, tuna is one of the healthiest foods on earth. For millions of American families, tuna is a delicious, inexpensive and nutritious food rich in essential nutrients including protein, vitamin D and omega-3 fatty acids.
Below are some healthy recipes courtesy of HealthyTuna.com, the website of the National Fisheries Institute – Tuna Council, that take tuna from canned to crave-able!
Albacore artichoke sandwiches (serves two)
- 1 can (6 oz.) Albacore Tuna
- 1 jar (6 oz.) marinated artichoke hearts
- 2 crusty sandwich rolls, split
- 4 large tomato slices
Drain Albacore tuna, set aside. Drain artichokes, reserving marinade. Cut artichokes into quarters and place over bottom half of each roll. Top with tomato and albacore. Drizzle with reserved artichoke marinade. Top with roll.
Tuna Spinach Salad (serves four)
- 12 cups pre-washed fresh trimmed spinach
- 2 cans (6 oz.) drained Albacore Tuna
- 1 cup medium onions, thinly sliced into wedges or rings
- 1 cup crumble blue cheese
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup candied pecans or favorite candied nuts
- Desired amount balsamic vinaigrette OR any cream based dressing desired amount
For each serving, place 3 cups fresh spinach on plate. Gently flake 1/2 cup Chicken of the Sea® Premium Albacore Tuna over spinach. Top with 1/4 cup each of onions and crumbled blue cheese. Sprinkle salad with 1 to 2 tablespoons candied pecans. Server with desired amount of dressing
Tuna Italiano Pizza (serves one)
- 1 (6-oz.) pre-baked individual pizza crust
- 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/3 cup diced Roma tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon minced shallots
- 1/2 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons fresh-chopped basil
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh-crushed garlic
- 1 can (6 oz.) Tuna in Olive Oil
Preheat oven to 350º F. Place pizza crust on pizza pan. Sprinkle cheese over crust; bake until cheese is melted (about 7 minutes). Meanwhile in bowl, combine tomatoes, shallots, red wine vinegar and garlic; set aside. Remove pizza and flake Tuna evenly over pizza. Mix. Spoon tomato mixture over tuna; sprinkle basil over pizza. Return to oven and bake 5 minutes longer.
Leave a Reply
October 11, 2016
September 27, 2016