Healthy Snacks For Kids After School
I’ve recently gotten on this health kick with my family. While searching for great suggestions of after school snacking, I stumbled upon these recommendations from WholeFoods.
Apricot Graham Snackers – serves 8
- 1 (6-ounce) container nonfat plain Greek-style yogurt
- 3 tablespoons neufchâtel or reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped dried unsulfured apricots
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 8 honey or cinnamon graham crackers
Purée yogurt, Neufchâtel, apricots and honey in a food processor until almost smooth. Spread onto graham crackers and serve.
Per serving (1 each/58g-wt.): 130 calories (35 from fat), 4g total fat, 1.5g saturated fat, 5mg cholesterol, 135mg sodium, 20g total carbohydrate (1g dietary fiber, 10g sugar), 4g protein
Apple Sandwiches with Granola – serves 2
- 2 small apples, cored and cut crosswise into 1/2-inch thick rounds
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice (optional)
- 3 tablespoons peanut or almond butter
- 2 tablespoons semisweet chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons granola
If you won’t be eating these tasty treats right away, start by brushing the apples slices with lemon juice to keep them from turning brown.
Spread one side of half of the apple slices with peanut or almond butter then sprinkle with chocolate chips and granola. Top with remaining apple slices, pressing down gently to make the sandwiches. Transfer to napkins or plates and serve.
Per serving (about 7oz/192g-wt.): 300 calories (150 from fat), 16g total fat, 4.5g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 115mg sodium, 36g total carbohydrate (6g dietary fiber, 25g sugar), 8g protein
Popcorn Trail Mix – serves 8
- 2 cups popped popcorn (preferably unsalted)
- 3/4 cup roasted almonds or roasted peanuts (preferably unsalted)
- 3/4 cups unsweetened dried banana chips
- 3/4 cup fruit-juice sweetened dried cranberries
Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl. Divide between 8 small storage containers. Trail mix will keep about 5 days.
Per serving (about 1oz/34g-wt.): 160 calories (80 from fat), 9g total fat, 0.5g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 0mg sodium, 19g total carbohydrate (2g dietary fiber, 12g sugar), 3g protein
Sunny Hummus with Dippers – serves 8
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds
- 1 cup (8 ounces) hummus (no oil added)
- 4 cups (8 ounces) vegetable sticks (carrot, broccoli, snow peas, etc.)
- 1 1/2 cups (3 ounces) unsalted pretzels or bread sticks
Place sunflower seeds in a small, heavy skillet and toast over medium heat, shaking the skillet occasionally, until seeds begin to turn golden, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and transfer to a plate to cool. Mound hummus on a small plate or divide it between single-serving containers. Sprinkle with sunflower seeds and serve with vegetables and pretzels.
Per serving (about 3oz/72g-wt.): 120 calories (40 from fat), 4.5g total fat, 0.5g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 170mg sodium, 16g total carbohydrate (3g dietary fiber, 2g sugar), 4g protein
Do you have any snack tips you’d like to share?
Leave a Reply
October 11, 2016
September 27, 2016