Inside The Kitchen: Turkey Mini-Meatloaves With Roasted Root Veggies
Here’s another ‘Cook Yourself Thin’ recipe that my mother and I whipped up over the weekend. YEAH – we cooked for HOURS!! LOL. This one was REALLY good and healthy to boot.
For the meatloaves
* 1 slice whole-wheat bread
* 1/2 cup skim milk
* 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon olive oil
* 1 onion, diced
* 5-ounce bag baby spinach leaves
* 1 1/4 pounds ground turkey
* 2 tablespoons finely grated Parmesan
* 1 large egg
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
* 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
For the glaze – we forgot to make this!!!
* 3 tablespoons ketchup
* 2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
* 1 teaspoon hot sauce
For the roasted root veggies
* 3 large carrots, cut on the bias
* 2 Yukon Gold potatoes, cut on the bias
* 1/4 cup asparagus (about 4 stalks)
* 1 teaspoon chopped parsley
* 1 teaspoon chopped chives
* 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 teaspoon pepper
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Arrange oven racks to accommodate two dishes being cooked simultaneously.
2. Grind the bread in a food processor until fine crumbs form. Transfer to a large bowl, and pour milk over crumbs. ** We just ripped up bread – didn’t grind anything. **
3. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large skillet, preferably nonstick, over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and golden, about 5 minutes.
Add spinach, and stir until just wilted, about 30 seconds. Transfer to bowl with soaked crumbs.
4. Pack 1 cup of the mixture into a 1-cup dry measuring cup. Invert the cup onto a rimmed baking sheet, gently shaking the cup to release the mixture. Gently pat the mound to smooth its shape.
Repeat three times with remaining mixture. Bake mini meatloaves until cooked through and golden, about 40 minutes.
5. While the meatloaves are cooking, make the glaze: In a small bowl combine the ketchup, Worcestershire sauce and hot sauce. Brush over meatloaves. (WE FORGOT THIS)
6. To make the roasted root vegetables: On a baking sheet, toss all the vegetables in the olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. Add to the oven along with the meatloaves and roast for 30 to 35 minutes, stirring midway through baking. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with fresh herbs.
Leave a Reply
October 11, 2016
September 27, 2016