Inside The Kitchen: Zucchini Yogurt Multigrain Muffins
My friends are probably all sick of me. All I do is bug them for pictures of their recipes. At the park. While waiting for our kids to come out of school. I am a broken record I swear! Thankfully my friend Elpida finally caved and sent along her fabulous recipe for Zucchini Yogurt Multigrain Muffins. This is her secret to getting her son to eat veggies in school. The carrots used to come back untouched… but these muffins are a hit with her little boy.
(makes 24 muffins)
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 to 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup plain yogurt (I used Fage 0% nonfat)
- 1 cup white sugar (I used Splenda granular blend)
- 3/4 cup honey (I only used 1/3 cup)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup shredded zucchini (about 1 large zucchini)
- 1 cup shredded carrots
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Lightly grease 24 muffin cups.
In a bowl, sift together the all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
In a separate bowl, beat together eggs, vegetable oil, applesauce, yogurt, sugar, honey, and vanilla. Mix the flour mixture into the egg mixture.
Shred and fold in the zucchini and carrots. Scoop into the prepared muffin cups.
Bake 18 to 20 minutes in the preheated oven, until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool completely.
(Recipe adapted from allrecipes.com)
Leave a Reply
October 11, 2016
September 27, 2016