Here’s a great Thanksgiving recipe from Todd Adelman, Director of Nutritional Services for Block Institute, and co-author of ‘Special Foods for Special Kids: Practical Solutions & Great Recipes for Children with Food Allergies’.
Sweet Potato Boats (Yields 16 “boats”)
- 8 medium sweet potatoes
- 2 apples, peeled & cored
- ¼ cup orange juice
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp. margarine
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 egg
- 16 marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Slice potatoes in half, lengthwise.
- Cut small slit in center of potato.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until tender when pierced with knife.
- Scoop out pulp of sweet potatoes being careful to leave the skin intact.
- Add salt to pulp & set aside.
- Cut apples into thin slices.
- Toss apples in orange juice & add cinnamon.
- Sauté apple mixture in margarine over medium heat, stirring constantly until apples are soft & liquid is absorbed.
- Add apple mixture to sweet potato pulp & process (or mash) until smooth.
- Beat egg into mixture.
- Fill potato shells to rim.
- Bake on foil lined cookie sheets at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 minutes.
- Slice marshmallows in half.
- Top each potato half with 2 pieces of marshmallow.
- Broil until golden brown.
Milk allergy: Use milk-free margarine.
Gluten allergy: No substitute needed.
Egg allergy: Substitute 1 ½ tsp. egg replacer mixed with 2 Tbsp. of water for egg. Use egg-free marshmallows.