Recipe: Little St. Simons Island’s Gingerbread Bread Pudding
Are you looking for a holiday recipe that revolves around gingerbread? Have you ever heard of gingerbread bread pudding? It just SCREAMS “Festive”, right?!
Little St. Simons Island’s Gingerbread Bread Pudding
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons blackstrap molasses
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 4 eggs
1. Preheat oven to 325°. Lightly coat the bottom of a cookie sheet or jelly roll pan with canola oil and line with parchment paper.
2. In a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer, beat brown sugar, molasses, eggs, and canola oil on medium speed until light and fluffy.
3. Combine flour, salt, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and cloves in a separate bowl.
4. Add flour mixture to egg mixture. Stir with a spoon to combine.
5. Add milk and mix until all ingredients are moistened. Pour batter over paper in prepared pan.
6. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
7. In a medium saucepan, combine milk, sugar, and vanilla on medium heat and stir until sugar is dissolved. Cool slightly.
8. Crack eggs for pudding in a separate bowl and beat with a wire whisk. Slowly whisk in warm milk mixture. Strain through a fine mesh strainer if mixture is lumpy.
9. Remove gingerbread from sheet pan and lift off parchment paper.
10. Cut into 1/4-inch squares and evenly divide among 12 ramekins.
11. Pour 1/4 cup custard over gingerbread in each ramekin. Place ramekins in a large baking dish and add enough hot water to meet the level of the filling in the cups.
12. Bake for 45 minutes in a 325° oven until custard is set. Serve warm.
Photo and Recipe Courtesy of: Little St. Simons Island
Leave a Reply
September 20, 2016
September 19, 2016
August 31, 2016