Rob Zangardi and Mariel Haenn have styled everyone in Hollywood, from Rihanna to Ciara and the Smiths. They’ve also worked on some of your favorite music videos with Kanye West (Paranoid), Ciara (Love, Sex and Magic), Jay-Z (Forever Young) and Rihanna (Run This Town). I got to ask them some questions about their fun jobs and what they are loving for prom season.
1. Between you both, you’ve styled all of Hollywood. What’s been your most memorable experience, so far?
Our job has taken us all over the world. Paris Fashion Week was definitely a career highlight for us both. Sitting front row at amazing shows like Chanel and seeing the last show for Alexander McQueen was unforgettable.
2. Let’s talk prom! What’s the new look for prom this season?
Think goddess! Jennifer Lopez at the Golden Globes this year is the perfect example of a feminine and romantic look which we love for prom. The white dress was whimsical and old Hollywood, but the understated slit gave it a little edge. Our recommendation for girls is to pick a dress that is first and foremost beautiful that you’ll feel confident in and then you can add or change things for a little bit of flare.
3. Are we still doing frothy, princess skirts or are the styles become more form-fitting a la the Kardashian sisters?
Prom is the perfect excuse to dress like a princess- we love bigger skirts. We dressed Rachel McAdams at the Oscars in a fun, full skirt. Form fitting dresses like the Kardashians wear are still on trend, but can be worn to any other school dance. Prom is the only day of the year you can get away with wearing a princess gown, so have fun with it!
4. What colors should girls be noticing this season?
We’re seeing a lot of nude shades such as light pinks and pastels, as well as silvers as you can see from Jennifer Lopez’s look at the Grammys. Metallic looks such as this one will also have a big presence during prom season.
5. What would you suggest for someone who wants to go all out with the prom look without looking clichéd?
Try the look all together beforehand; including your hair, makeup and accessories to make sure you’re not overdoing it. Avoid waiting to the last minute to put it all together. Remember, it’s all about balance. If you’re wearing a big cocktail ring, avoid a flashy bracelet or necklace.
6. What part does Venus play in this year’s prom season?
Short dresses are all the rage this season; just look at Jennifer from the Grammys and the Golden Globes after party. For these leg barring styles, it’s important your legs and skin are looking gorgeous. Girls should be sure to shave on a daily basis which also is a great way to exfoliate their skin. Venus provides girls with the tools they need like the five blades, Venus Embrace Shine for an incredibly long-lasting shave to confidently show off those smooth legs on prom night.
7. Please reference your favorite celebrity inspired prom look for the girl who wants to stick with the prom look and the girl who wants to try something different.
We love Hailee Steinfeld’s look from the Golden Globes- she wore a very age appropriate t-length dress which was super on trend. She hit the nail on the head as she was fashion forward, yet still looked like a teen. Also, she paired the dress with the right accessories – a cute, jeweled headband and a platform shoe. We also loved Jennifer’s Golden Globes dress, which was romantic and feminine and white is always fresh, but also different from the typical princess type dress.
8. What is one beauty item every girl should carry in their clutch for prom night?
In our opinion there isn’t just one thing we think every girl should have, these four things should definitely be in every girls clutch:
1. Eye liner pencil
2. Lipstick and gloss
3. Loose powder to remove shine
4. Mints, not chewing gum