ENTER TO WIN: VCA Pets $50 AmEx Gift Card & Digital Photo Frame
If you’re like me, you have a pet (or pets) that you love like another member of your family. Also, just like the others in the house, you have to make sure they are happy and healthy. It’s important to find the right Vet that will take interest in your pet and take great care of them.
Did you know VCA operates more than 540 animal hospitals in 41 states across the nation? These hospitals are staffed by more than 1,800 fully qualified, dedicated and compassionate veterinarians to give your pet the very best in medical care. There are over 200 are board-certified specialists. Check out their Hospital Locator here or on Facebook to find the hospital nearest you.
VCA offers FREE initial health exams to all new pet patients! So, if you haven’t been before, be sure to check them out and get an update on your pet’s health. The Free Initial Health Exam form can be found here, along with other coupons and deals!
Be sure to check out VCA on Facebook and Twitter @VCApethealth for daily pet news, fun facts and health tips. You can also visit www.vcahospitals.comfor more info, including an expansive pet health resource library.
Even though it’s the tail end of summer, there’s still more than enough warm, fun days ahead to spent with your family and pet. As pet care experts and full-time animal lovers,VCA Animal Hospitals knows how much pet parents love taking pictures of their four-legged family members.
Below are some great tips from Dr. Donna Spector, DVM, DACVIM for keeping you pets safe in the summer and warmer weather. Enjoy Labor Day and the rest of summer!
Overheating and dehydration can happen easily in the summer time. Here are a few things to keep in mind:
· Common early signs of an overheated dog are: noisy or labored breathing, excessive panting, and bright red mucus membranes.
· Heat stroke is a life-threatening emergency! If you are concerned your pet is overheated, check their temperature. The normal canine body temperature is 100 to 102.5. If the temperature registers over 105 degrees, contact your veterinarian immediately!
· Always keep a water bowl with you whenever you are out with your pet. There are some easy to use collapsible bowls available…some that can even clip on your leash.
· You can place a cool, wet towel over your dog or place him in a bath of lukewarm to cool water. NEVER use ice or very cold water to try to cool a hot pet. If you have a garden hose handy, you can run cool water over them
In addition to heat stroke, warm sunny days can pose a risk of sunburn for light-haired pets or for those with very thin hair. Remember that pavement becomes very hot on sunny days—easily able to burn and blister your pets paw pads.
Other Tips for Pool & Backyard Activities
· Summer is a popular time for grilling and outdoor parties. Remember to keep your pets leashed or inside to prevent them from eating potentially toxic party foods (chocolate, grapes, onions, etc.)
· Watch pets carefully around water! Like children, water poses a number of dangers to pets also. Make sure outdoor pools are properly secured to prevent accidental drowning. If your property has ponds or lakes make sure you have fences to keep your pet and neighborhood pets out. Keep your pet out of stagnant water to lower the risk for certain infectious water-borne diseases.
· Summer toxin hazards—nicely manicured lawns can pose certain hazards to pets such as cocoa mulch toxicity or snail bait toxicity. Avoid these things or ask your lawn service to avoid these products if you have pets. Always be on the look-out for antifreeze—many people drain their antifreeze during the summer and its sweet smell can attract many an inquisitive pet.
One lucky LAB reader will receive the following:
- $50 Amex gift card
- Digital picture frame
- VCA pet gifts and more!
How do I enter? You have a few options AND EACH COUNTS AS ONE ENTRY. There is NO LIMIT to the number of times a reader can enter (via any of the entry channels) this contest:
- Click here to leave your email on the contest entry form
- Become a fan of LAB’s Facebook Page. Then leave a comment on the wall saying you love the VCA Animal Hospitals giveaway.
- Tweet this message: “Hope I win the @VCApethealth giveaway from ladyandtheblog.com (@verasweeney). RT to Enter #contest #giveaway”.
- Post a link to this contest on your blog (and then leave a comment on this post with your link)
- Follow Lady and the Blog on NetworkedBlogs.com
- Stumble this post (not the site) and leave me your StumbleUpon Name in your comment.
- Comment on other Lady and the Blog posts and reference this contest. Be sure to add that the comment is acting as an entry to the contest. Each comment counts as one entry. Please be sure to include you email when asked otherwise I won’t be able to contact you.
- Sign up for LAB’s newsletter. Are you already subscribed? Leave a comment letting me know.
Contest ends Midnight, Eastern Time, 9/5/11
Winner(s) will be selected at random.
Disclosure: VCA Animal Hospitals is a client. VCA provided ClassyMommy with the digital photo frame, $50 gift card and VCA items to give away to one lucky reader.
Leave a Reply
August 25, 2016