Please Remember Battery Safety This Holiday Season
With so many new holiday toys, decorations and gadgets, don’t forget to keep battery safety in mind! It’s the little things like this that can make a big difference. Coin-sized button batteries can cause serious injuries to children if ingested. Don’t know what items contain button batteries? Thankfully there’s a site to help you.
This picture is so scary to me because I know how easy this can happen. Even at 4 and 6, my children still have a horrible habit of putting things like bottle caps in their mouths.
Did you know?
- It only takes about two hours for a button battery to cause serious burns in a child’s esophagus
- In 2010, more than 3,400 children ingested button batteries
- The number of cases of children swallowing batteries has more than quadrupled in the past five years
- Symptoms of coin-sized button battery ingestion may be similar to other childhood illnesses, such as coughing, drooling and discomfort
- Button batteries can be found in a wide variety of unexpected objects, including:
- o Singing or talking greeting cards or books
- o Flameless candles
- o Small remote controls (MP3 player, DVD player)
- o Car keys
- o Bathroom scales
- o Calculators
Safe Kids Worldwide and Energizer formed “The Battery Controlled” by Safe Kids and provides easy steps parents and caregivers can take to prevent injuries and deaths to children.
- Keep button batteries and devices that use them out of reach if the battery compartments aren’t secure.
- If a child swallows a battery, go to the emergency room right away.
- Tell others about this hidden danger and share these steps.
Looking for more info? Visitwww.thebatterycontrolled.com
* this is a sponsored post
Leave a Reply
September 18, 2016
September 10, 2016