Daily Diary: I Almost Just Got Smoked Out Of My House
Of course this happens on a day when we had a play date with a brand new family. A boy that my son simply adores… kill me.
So, I went to the gym this morning and when I came out I didn’t put on my jacket because I was SWEATING. Once I cooled down, I got such a chill that even my (super) hot shower didn’t fix it.
I decided to start a fire. Something I do almost every night. No big deal. Well, we just had this vent closer installed and I never had to deal with it before because Bill has always been home to manage that piece. This afternoon, he ran out to get some bagels for the play date and I didn’t think twice about it. Like I said, it’s a new feature for our fireplace.
Well, I lit the fire, walked away and got myself some tea. By the time I turned around, my entire living room was filled with grey smoke.
OH MY GODDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD!!!!!!
(not the actual picture – I was in a panic at the moment)
I run over to try to open the vent… because NOW I REMEMBERED and I can’t figure the darn thing out. Now the smoke is filling up multiple rooms of my house. I got a bunch of water and put out the fire. I made the kids go play in my son’s room for a while (which is in another area of the house) and whipped open every single window and door.
Then in a panic, I called Bill and told him to come home ASAP and to screw the bagels. Luckily, he was 3 blocks away. He did and opened the vent. For the last 20 minutes, we’ve been fanning all around my house to try to get the smoke out and all I keep thinking about is the mother who is about to come to my house to pick up her son.
THIS IS NOT HAPPENING!!!!
I feel terrible but obviously it was an accident. I just don’t want her to think that we are an unsafe home. Oy vey!
Leave a Reply
September 22, 2016
September 19, 2016
September 16, 2016