Inside The Kitchen: Reduced Fat Chicken Salad
I know I’ve done one of these before … but this chicken salad recipe is TOTALLY different! Ok… maybe not TOTALLY different. But the other one had beans and sun dried tomatoes – there is a slight variation. 🙂 Besides, I LOVE this chicken salad recipe. I ate this A LOT while I was trying to lose weight after having my first child. And lately, I’ve been craving this salad like I’m pregnant (no, I’m not pregnant). So, yesterday I ran out to pick up the ingredients.
Now, I will say this… it’s a pricey salad. If you don’t already own all of these ingredients it can really add up. BUT I eat this 4 times so I suppose if you break it down like that it’s not as expensive as one would think.
Let’s get started.
- Pre-roasted chicken from supermarket (much easier this way folks)
- 2 stalks of celery
- handful of black olives (or green if you like then)
- 1 roasted pepper
- diced baby carrots – however many you’d like. I think I put about 10 or so. I don’t measure when I cook if you haven’t noticed.
- Get your microplane out folks!! 2 garlic cloves and about 1/10th of a yellow onion. Through the zester it’s probably about 2 tablespoons of liquid. (does this make sense)
- 1/4 cup of reduced fat mayo
- 2 tablespoons of Grey Poupon seeded mustard
- 1 tablespoon of red wine vinegar
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- salt and pepper to taste
- (I dont add tomatoes – but if you have any on hand go ahead!)
Honestly, I dont have time to brush my teeth – forget about prepping and then roasting a chicken. PLEASE! Get one already done and do yourself a favor. Dice up the rest of the ingredients. Throw it all in a bowl and mix.
If it’s not saucy enough… consider adding a few more tablespoons of reduced fat mayo. Some other people I know add sour cream instead – but I haven’t tried that yet.
I serve it with a toasted crumpet (I just love crumpets) and a few more olives for good measure. 🙂
Looking for more Inside the Kitchen posts? Click here.
Leave a Reply
September 20, 2016
September 19, 2016
August 31, 2016