Do you get more headaches than normal in the summer? It seems like when the mercury rises so too do the headaches. The heat, the strong sun, being outdoors and more active…it has to all contribute. This is especially true when you are trying to keep fit and exercise when it’s blazing summer hot.
Fitness expert Kathy Kaehler knows how important exercise is. Exercise is a great way to reduce stress, release endorphins and feel great about yourself. However, be careful when exercising in the summer. The combination of exercise and heat increases your core body temperature and decreases the blood circulation to the muscles you’re using. Because of this strain and potential dehydration, you may get headaches more frequently.
You can’t always control the weather, but there are plenty of triggers you can easily keep in check by understanding what they are and how to combat them. Here are some tips from Kathy Kaehler for staying cool while exercising in the summer heat:
- Be Flexible with Your Routine: Exercise in the morning instead of on hot afternoons. Stay indoors when humidity is high instead of working out outside. During the hot summer months, wear thin, breathable clothes while exercising outdoors and test out classes in a gym as opposed to outdoor workouts.
- Dehydration: Be sure to stay hydrated by drinking water before, during and after your workout. Try to refrain from drinking beverages that leave you parched, such as soda and excessive amounts of caffeine or alcohol. After your workout, moisturize your skin to keep your whole body hydrated.
- Light: Wear sunglasses or a baseball cap when exercising outside. Take frequent breaks in the shade or in cooler areas. Try not to embark on that 10-mile run on the hot asphalt during the brightest (and most scorching) part of the day, when light is reflecting at you from all angles.
I can’t always avoid my headaches, especially during the summer; so when I get one, I take Excedrin® Extra Strength to help get me get back on track. Excedrin® is a trusted brand with more than 50 years’ experience providing effective headache relief. Excedrin® Extra Strength is a combination pain reliever – acetaminophen/aspirin/caffeine – that provides temporary relief of headaches. Use only as directed.
Check out Excedrin® on Facebook and share your “biggest headaches” with us!!! There’s many people just like us that get headaches and need to talk about it!
Click here for more information about headaches.
One (1) lucky Lady and the Blog reader will summer cool prize pack including:
- REI Multi-Use Towel
- Halo II Pullover Headband
- Squeeze Breeze Misting Fan
- Gym/beach bag
“I am an Excedrin® Extra Strength brand ambassador. I’ve been compensated for my work and all opinions are my own.”