Avoid Tipping Flat Panel TVs Around Children And Mount Your Television With Sanus
Who doesn’t have a flat panel TV in their home? We have THREE! But we all know that flat panel TVs aren’t as sturdy as their bulky older cousins. The television in my basement is as big as a couch and when our movers placed it in our house they told us no one will ever be able to move it out because of the weight and size! TVs just aren’t made that way anymore! LOL
Most parents are unaware of the safety risks that flat panel TVs pose for kids. Due to increasing size and new ultra thin designs, today’s flat panel TVs can easily tip over when bumped or pulled, toppling off of furniture and causing injury or even death.
My children are constantly running around my living room while play fighting. We are always warning them to stay away from our television, but they don’t always remember. We are actually in the process of redesigning our den and are planning on mounting our television above our fireplace. I’ve seen it done a dozen times on Pinterest and have fallen in love with the look.
After reading these stats from SANUS and Safe Kids Worldwide, I am sure now more than ever that we are making the right decision.
A 2011 US Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) report on flat panel TV safety revealed:
- A child is killed every three weeks from an unsecured TV
- Every 45 minutes a child visits an emergency room due to a TV tip-over related injury
- Between 2000 and 2011, 215 fatalities have resulted from TV tip-over
- An estimated 17,000 people each year, the majority of which are children, are treated for injuries from TV tip-overs
- Reported cases have increased almost 25% from 2006 to 2010, and over the last 10 years, injuries have increased by 31%
Sanus makes installation nice and easy. Everything you needs comes with the kit and they even supply a template for placement. There’s even an online video walkthrough available to you at any time. And if you are a customer support kinda person… there’s someone to talk to LIVE 6 days a week.
Check out this video below about TV tip overs. It’s life changing though! Once you see it, you will want to mount every television in your house.
For more information on Sanus, click here.