Google is getting ready for Christmas time by opening some pretty slick new product showroom pop-ups in six U.S. locations, including spots in 5 mega-malls (Washington, Chicago, Los Angeles, Sacramento, California, and Paramus, N.J.) as well as NYC’s beautiful Bryant Park.
They are called Winter Wonderlabs, are they are pretty awesome. Checking out the NYC location was a lot of fun. Can’t wait to share the deets and the pics below!!
It’s a place to check out their latest goodies like Nexus 7 tablets, Chromebook computers, the Nexus 5 smartphone, and Chromecast video- streaming devices. In reality, it’s just a really chill (oh that was a good one) place to take a minute to relax from holiday shopping madness. Go into the beautiful space and take it in…play some games, watch some videos, check some email. If you like it, you can order the gadgets online right there. The stores also feature a large snow globe that lets customers take very cool slow-motion videos of themselves, all broadcasted around the space for you to enjoy.
“The Winter Wonderlab is a fun and interactive way to experience all of Google’s new gadgets in one place,” the company said on the website.
The New York City Lab is located at 41 W. 40th St. in Bryant Park. If you don’t know, Bryant Park is a wonderful jewel of a park in the middle of midtown towers. It’s at it’s best during the winter when their Winter Village turns the park into a wonderful destination with tiny shops, food venues, ice skating, a temporary 2-level bar/restaurant…and now the Google Winter Wonderlab. It’s a fab spot, couldn’t be any better or more perfect. Go check them out and you won’t be disappointed.
And here’s one more thing I picked up at the event!!! The Nexus 5 is Google’s latest smartphone gem, with a stunning 5 inch display and all the bells and whistles you expect from a Nexus phone. But the phone can be some much more than a phone, especially around the holidays. Check out 5 Ways to Use Nexus 5 This Holiday Season!! Happy shopping!
- Add Some Cheer to Your Holiday Photos: After snapping holiday shots on your Nexus 5, let our “Auto†Awesome” tool do the rest. Pictures and videos of your child’s first Thanksgiving, family time around the tree or a holiday getaway are automatically turned into custom highlight reels (complete with filters, transitions and soundtracks), GIFs, and montages. Auto Awesome edits groups of photos into shareable highlights, so you don’t need to weed out duplicates and blurred shots. To make your own video (hello holiday card!) go to the G+ App and turn on “Auto Backup” in settings (accessed via the three dots in the upper right corner of the screen). After snapping photos, go to the G+ app OR the Photos app > click on the little movie director icon > select your clips and images > make a movie. You can change the theme, filter, background music, and remove, shorten or reorder scenes.
- OK Google ¨Get Me a Hot Toddy”: OK, maybe it can’t make you a holiday cocktail, but Google Voice Search can help you get the information you need faster, so you’ll have time for that toddy once your errands are complete. Just unlock your home screen and say, “OK, Google, where’s the nearest wine store?” on the way to the holiday party, or “OK, Google, remind me to buy pie crust at Whole Foods,” and you’ll be prompted to pick it up the next time you’re there.
- Elf in Your Pocket: When is the package arriving? Where is the party and when should I leave? Is my flight delayed? Google†Now†has the answers. Google Now shows you the information you need at just the right moment, without having to dig around you can simply swipe to the right from the Nexus 5 homescreen to see it at any time. Look up an address on your way out the door and you’ll see it moments later in Google Now along with the best way to get there and how long it will take. When a package has shipped, you’ll get a notice along with the tracking number. If your flight is late, you’ll see an update, along with the gate number. To get started, do a Google Search from the search bar on your Nexus 5. When the results appear, tap the three dots at the bottom right of the screen, choose Settings and turn on Google Now. You can always access Now by swiping to the right on your Nexus 5 home screen.
- Black Friday Secret Weapon: The key to maintaining shopping stamina after a 4am start? Google Maps” which lets you find the nearest coffee shop (or restaurant, store, gas station and more) on your shopping route simply by touching the search bar. In addition to directions, Google Maps gives you phone numbers, website, hours and more right in the map. And when you’re rushing to get to that next sale, Maps tells you how to beat traffic by showing you the fastest route. Just open the Google Maps app to get started, and tap the search bar to see listings for food, drink, shopping and more.
- Get Grinches Grooving with an Awesome Holiday Playlist: Google Play Music All Access lets you listen to millions of songs and create custom holiday playlists you can enjoy on any device without wires or syncing. To get started, go to the Play Music app and try a free 30day trial of All Access on Google Play.