It’s cold and flu season and Lysol® wants to know if you are doing everything you can to stay healthy at the tail-end of this long and freezing winter, with February being the peak month for illness. Most families think they can fight off infection with hand washing, cleaning commonly touched surfaces and flu shots. Yes, you are doing a lot to fend off the beat, but there is actually still more that can be done. Here are some sobering Cold & Flu Facts:
- Cleaning and disinfecting aren’t one in the same: cleaning only removes germs from surfaces, whereas disinfecting actually destroys them. (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) The flu virus can live on surfaces for up to 48 hours, so it’s important to disinfect regularly. Strong little things, aren’t they?
- Talk about another reason to disinfect those surfaces regularly: children can touch and retouch more than 300 surfaces in just 30 minutes. Imagine how much you could protect them – and prevent them from spreading germs – by switching from cleaning to disinfecting! (CDC)
- Frequent hand washing is a key way to preventing cold and flu. However, one study found that the majority of respondents (53%) only wash their hands for 10 seconds or less after using the toilet when the optimal time for washing is 20 seconds. (Global Hygiene Council)
- The common cold causes nearly 22 million lost school days in the U.S. each year. (Global Hygiene Council)
- In the course of a year, people in the United States suffer 1 billion colds. (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention)
- The flu virus can travel up to 12 feet through the air at 100 mph. (Global Hygiene Council)
- 59% of surfaces in a home can be contaminated with the flu virus during flu season. (Global Hygiene Council)
- Children have about 6-10 colds a year and are 2-3x more likely than adults to get sick with the flu. (Global Hygiene Council)
Well, as you may or may not know…I am a Lysol®l fanatic. Even back to when I was teaching I would “smoke bomb” the room with Lysol®. Hey, it works, right? Cold & Flu Prevention with Lysol is easy! Lysol® Disinfecting Wipes and Lysol® Disinfectant Spray kill 99.9% of cold & flu viruses on hard surfaces.
Here are some really fun and interesting little nuggets that may or may not blow your mind. Blow it right off…
- Taxis are the cleanest form of public transportation as compared to airplanes or rental cars which are the least clean. Um, say what? 
- The bathroom stall closest to the door has the lowest bacteria levels. Amazing. 
- People assume bathrooms are the germiest places in a home. However, since they are cleaned more regularly:
- The average telephone harbors up to 25,127 microbes per square inch. Is that a lot? Sounds like a scary amount. 
- Doing laundry is not enough. Launder bedding at 60 degrees each week to kill germs and dust mites. Put ‘em in the tanning bed.
- Stress taxes the immune system and can cause people to neglect sleep, healthy diet and exercise, ultimately making them more vulnerable to getting sick. 
Well, don’t you all feel good today? Sniffle, sniff. I know I am all about the Lysol®, so maybe if you haven’t been…it’s time to get on the horse! Good luck with the rest of winter!
We are going to help you get through all of this…so one (1) lucky Lady and the Blog reader will receive Lysol Disinfectant Spray, Lysol Disinfecting Wipes and Lysol No Touch Hand System!!
 ABCNews.com, “GMA Germ Test Shows Some Public Seats Full of Bacteria”
 MensHealth.com, “14 Strange but True Health Tips”
 FitnessMagazine.com , “Germ and Bacteria Hot-Spots: 12 Things You Should Know”
 National Hygiene Council (NHC)
 National Hygiene Council (NHC)
 Forbes.com, “How Our Buildings Are Making Us Sick;” National Hygiene Council (NHC)
 MSN.com, “4 Secrets to Never Getting Sick”