With so many new holiday toys, decorations and gadgets, don’t forget to keep battery safety in mind! It’s the little things like this that can make a big difference. Coin-sized button batteries can cause serious injuries to children if ingested. Don’t know what items contain button batteries? Thankfully there’s a site to help you.

This picture is so scary to me because I know how easy this can happen. Even at 4 and 6, my children still have a horrible habit of putting things like bottle caps in their mouths.

Did you know?

  • It only takes about two hours for a button battery to cause serious burns in a child’s esophagus
  • In 2010, more than 3,400 children ingested button batteries
  • The number of cases of children swallowing batteries has more than quadrupled in the past five years
  • Symptoms of coin-sized button battery ingestion may be similar to other childhood illnesses, such as coughing, drooling and discomfort
  • Button batteries can be found in a wide variety of unexpected objects, including:
    • o Singing or talking greeting cards or books
    • o Flameless candles
    • o Small remote controls (MP3 player, DVD player)
    • o Car keys
    • o Bathroom scales
    • o Calculators

Safe Kids Worldwide and Energizer formed “The Battery Controlled” by Safe Kids and provides easy steps parents and caregivers can take to prevent injuries and deaths to children.

  • Keep button batteries and devices that use them out of reach if the battery compartments aren’t secure.
  • If a child swallows a battery, go to the emergency room right away.
  • Tell others about this hidden danger and share these steps.

Looking for more info? Visitwww.thebatterycontrolled.com

Want to get social?? Visit The Battery Controlled on Facebook and Twitter too!

* this is a sponsored post

Leave a Reply